Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I've owned several MP3 players since they first came into existence. I've had Creative models going all the way back to their first ones. I've had the Rio 600. I've had many iPods, including the very first model with Firewire. I've had Sansa and several low-cost Asian market knock-offs.
And of all the MP3 players I've owned through the years this one is the most useless pieces of junk I've ever had the misfortune of purchasing.
Where should I start? I'll be nice.
The Good:
* It looks nice. On first glance it seems really cool and high-tech.
* Drag-n-drop via USB connection makes it easy to load music/videos/photos into it.
* Physical buttons instead of touch-screen means it can be controlled while in a pocket.
* Comes with a nice protective fabric sleeve.
* Manuals and software loaded on device for PC and Mac.
* Halfway decent menu/operating system for a low-cost media player.
* Supports Ogg Vorbis, MP3, and WMA.
* FM Radio works pretty well.
The Bad:
* Feels REALLY cheap. Squeaky plastic. Buttons don't feel solid or lined-up properly. I've had children's dollar-store toys were made of higher-quality plastic than this thing.
* Cheap, old-tech LCD screen. Glares, has lots of ghosting and "negative blacks". Awful for video.
* Limited codec support for video, despite what package says.
* REALLY SLOW. The unit has to "upgrade" the database every time you try to play music, and it takes a long time before you can even start using it... If it ever finishes the process at all.
* Horribly buggy software. I was able to load music, but it kept crashing when trying to update the database or play tunes. By "crashing" I mean it would crash and shut down, or sometimes it would freeze up completely. In order to fix this I had to use a pin on the tiny reset button numerous times. You'll want to bring a paperclip or pin with you if you carry this device.
* No storage expansion. You have about 7GB to work with on the device, and that's all. No card slot, no way to change this.
* Not user-serviceable. The battery is rumored to burn out pretty fast, and when it does, that's it. Time to buy a new MP3 player. You can't change the battery and Coby won't do it for you, either.
Summary:
Don't buy it. Seriously-- It's a terrible, cheap, badly-designed piece of junk. You'd be much better getting one of the following:
* iPod (any): It might be tied to Apple, and MUCH more expensive, but at least it's not buggy garbage and will work as advertised.
* Creative Zen: A nice little MP3/media player that handles a lot of different files, has a great screen, and really solid controls. It's built well and supports SD cards. The only negative is that the Zen doesn't integrate the SD card contents with the main memory, and fails to display album art for songs on the memory card.
* MS Zune: About the same as iPod in terms of price and quality. No major faults, but the price could be lower.
* Sansa Fuze: Best choice in my opinion. Quality build, low price. Supports SD Micro cards and fully integrates the card contents into main memory. Great FM tuner. Small-but-decent screen. Feels and looks as good as the iPod, but much more open-ended and less expensive.
Please, don't get this Coby thing. It's aimed at suckers who think they're saving a few bucks, but honestly, it's a rip-off. Get the Zen or Fuze if you want to stay in this price range. You'll be glad you did.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Coby 2.4 Inch Video MP3 Player with FM 16 GB MP727-16GBLK (Black)
0 comments:
Post a Comment