RCA Mp3 Player 512mb With Interchangeable Colors Review

RCA Mp3 Player 512mb With Interchangeable Colors
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
I picked one of these RCA 200's up to serve as a "stop-gap" player while I waited for a Toshiba Gigabeat: I wanted something that could play Audible content out of the box, take a lot of abuse, and basically serve as a player in situations I wouldn't want to drag an expensive player into. I wasn't expecting much out of it from the display box (it was cheaper than a Shuffle), but I've got to say: I've been thoroughly impressed.
The system weighs almost nothing, even with the battery installed, but still feels fairly solid, with nice hard buttons that provide a satisfying "click." It comes with four faceplates/battery-covers in different colors, which secure tight to the unit and serve as ready-replacements if you manage to crack the casing (I put it through its paces, and the Black is now thoroughly scuffed but still fits taut). The OLED display (blue on black background) is extremely bright and easy to read under all conditions, and serves as a passable display for navigating tracks. Even the interface is well designed: it separates audiobooks from regular tracks right on the main menu, so Audible junkies don't have to search for their tracks (something my Zen never did). My only complaint here is the player segregates music tracks on the SD card from tracks on the main memory, so I occasionally had to go hunting for a song.
But the player really shines in the small touches. Everything is included: a lanyard, faceplates, earbud headphones, a mini-usb cable, battery, and a surprisingly well-made armband. The player supports SD cards (a fact that wasn't even mentioned on the packaging). When plugged in, the unit powers off of the USB port, and XP recognized both the player's memory and the SD card in it as volumes, so I could drag and drop music onto it without messing around in MusicMatch. Audible supported it right out of the box (it was a great change of pace from the firmware updates I'd gone through with the Zen Micro). The playback is passable: the audio is good, and the display is informative, but when you fast forward, the player doesn't update the display for a few seconds (which is a pain when you're trying to find your place in an eight-hour book). There's no explicit bookmark feature, but the player does remember your place in a book when you want to switch over to music for a while.
I wouldn't recommend this to any audiophile or someone with a large music collection as their primary player: spend a few extra bucks and get a low-end iRiver or an iPod Nano so you get the niceties of a full-size display, better navigation, extra space, and rechargability. But if you're looking for a player that can take a beating on a trip, happen to be particularly harsh on your equipment during workouts, or just need a player to tide you over for a few weeks and won't regret having around afterwards, the RCA's a great choice.

Click Here to see more reviews about: RCA Mp3 Player 512mb With Interchangeable Colors



Buy Now

Click here for more information about RCA Mp3 Player 512mb With Interchangeable Colors

0 comments:

Post a Comment