Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)Last summer I bought a Canon Digital Rebel and broke it in on vacation in Florida. Foolishly, I thought a single 512 CF card would suffice. I wound up conserving my shots and deleting more than a few in order to make room for more. Granted, the larger 6.3 megapixel camera created larger files, but I still was woefully prepared. I spent too much vacation time fretting over how many pictures were left and weighing that against the number of days left in my vacation. Not anymore!
This summer, when I travel, I'll be toting the Epson P-2000 to go along with the upgraged Canon 20D. Even with the boost in megapixels, I'll not worry about a single shot. I can fill the 512 CF card and then download all the images (including the raw format for the 20D) onto the Epson P-2000, erase the images from the card, reload and then keep shooting.
I have a 60GB Ipod, but I bought that for the music. I was originally considering storing unprocessed pictures on the Ipod this summer in order to free up space on my CF card. However, the more I read reviews on the two Belkin products that can accomplish this task, the more I realized that this was going to be a frustrating, time consuming, and battery-draining endeavor. The main reason I began to search for a media storage device was the numerous consumer reviews I'd read about the Belkin product that complained about the excessive time spent downloading onto the Ipod. Not only would it take over twenty minutes, but it would seriously drain the battery. I considered this transition from CF card to Ipod needing to be accomplished in the Magic Kingdom and realized that this was the stuff nightmares were made of! Not only that, but then I would be needing a charge for the Ipod! Not good! The purpose of this was to make cleaning off a card convenient!
After searching through several products, I came upon several reviews of the Epson P-2000. It has several glowing reviews and, now that I have one, I understand why. Albiet a bit pricey, this is a solid unit that really delivers!
The 40GB is more than ample to handle pictures taken with my 20D using either RAW format or the Large/Fine files. The download from a regular 512 Sandisk (not WA or 80x) is very fast! Really!
The machine is quite intuitive to use. The controls are straightforward. The screen produces some outstanding images with superb color, clarity, and detail. The zoom feature on the Epson is also stunning. You really won't believe your eyes until you load some images onto the unit and view them for yourself.
This product allows you to clear you CF cards AND see the images you took. I like that advantage over the idea of carrying the data on an Ipod without the ability to see the pictures.
I didn't buy this product expecting it to be a great MP3 player. From what I understand, it performs well as an MP3 player, but I doubt it will touch the quality of sound from the Ipod. The unit does come with some sample pictures and a sample video. As of yet, I haven't transfered any video to the P-2000, but the sample video was incredible! The screen is large enough and the speakers produce ample volume that I would consider copying a DVD into AVI format and load it onto the machine.
If your primary consideration for a media storage device is for pictures, this is your unit. Although it does a lot more than just handle pictures, there are other units that are probably better suited for other purposes. For instance, the 100GB Archos would be my choice for a device to store DVDs on. The Ipod is the one to beat for quality music. Similarly, the Epson P-2000 is the king of the hill when it comes to allowing you to view pictures in brilliant, amazing color on the ample 3.8" LCD screen. The 40GB is also quite sufficient for storing a huge number of high-quality pictures from your CF card.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Epson P-2000 Multimedia Storage Drive, Viewer, and Audio/Video Player (B31B174011)
0 comments:
Post a Comment